Thanks for all the input for my future sofa! I think that I will bite the bullet and invest on a "real" sofa. Here are the requirements for any sofa that's going to come live in my house:
- Long enough and wide enough for a tall adult to sleep on comfortably (74" long or longer)
- Slip covered, and preferably in a machine-washable fabric
- Natural fiber material like cotton, linen or canvas--no micro suede for me, thanks
- Under $2,000 and preferably less than $1,500
- New, some of you may argue with this, but with New York City's current bedbug epidemic, a used sofa is not on my list
- A classic, but crisp style. I want something that is neither too fussy or too contemporary.
- Ideally, it would be a sofa that isn't going to be discontinued anytime soon and that you can order a replacement slipcover for at a later date.
I remain undecided about color. I've had white sofas for years, and while everyone thinks I am nuts to have white, it's actually really easy to keep clean because you can bleach it. However, for a long-term investment, I am thinking about a natural, beige color or a gray.
Does anyone have any specific recommendations for brands or styles?