This potato-leek soup recipe from Jane Brody's Good Food Book is surprisingly delicious for such a simple recipe. Personally, I like to serve the soup topped with crumbled bacon with a nice, green salad on the side--yum!
adapted from Jane Brody's Good Food Book
2 large leeks (white parts only)
1 lb potatoes, peeled and dived
1 T. butter
2 1/2 c. vegetable broth
Lots of freshly ground pepper
1/2 t. kosher salt
1 c. skim milk
2 heaping T. minced fresh parsley
1. Seperate and wash leeks. Sliec int 1/2 inch pieces
2. In a heavy-bottomed enamel pan, saute the potatoes and leeks in butter for several minutes, stirring the vegetables to prevent browning.
3. Add broth salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
4. Add milk slowly, and heat soup, but do not boil.
5. Mash gently with a potato masher, leaving the texture mostly chunky.
6. Stir in parsley.
Serve this soup with a sprinkling of grated cheese (and bacon, if you're a bacon-monster like me). It's also great leftover!