Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Jane Brody's Chicken "Barleycorn" Soup
We ended up making Chicken "Barleycorn" Soup from Jane Brody's Good Food Cookbook with the stock from the romertopf chicken. As I've mentioned before, I'm a big fan of Ms. Brody's soup recipes, and the Chicken "Barleycorn" Soup was no exception. Here's the second half of the recipe (I'm leaving out the preparation of the stock, since we didn't follow those directions).
Chicken "Barleycorn" Soup
adapted from Jane Brody's Good Food Cookbook
6-8 cups of homemade chicken stock
3-4 cups cooked chicken meat, shredded
1/2 t. dried basil
1/2 t. thyme
1/2 c. barley
2 celery stalks
4 cups corn kernels (two 10 oz. packages frozen kernels, thawed)
1/2 c. sliced scallions (2-3 scallions)
4 T. finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. Tabsco sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Bring stock to a boil, add barley, basil and thyme. Lower to a simmer, cover soup and cook for 45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, puree in a blender (or food processor) 1 bag of corn with 1 cup of stock.
3. Dice the carrots and celery.
4. When barley is tender, ass the corn puree, corn kernels, carrot snd celery to the pot. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add chicken pieces, scallions, cumin, parsley, and hot sauce to the post and simmer for five more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with additional fresh parsley.